by Russell Louie, Aromatherapist
The following are some case histories for the physical uses of Essential Oils:
- Headache – apply peppermint, helichrysum, fir, wintergreen, clove, or valerian to temples and forehead. Use Roman Chamomile, peppermint or lavender on back of neck, temples or under the nose.
- Insect bites – use basil, lavender, eucalyptus, citronella, melaleuca alternifolia or rosemary cineol for their antiseptic properties. Use peppermint directly on the bite to reduce itching.
- Hay fever – lavender, roman chamomile or ledum applied to chest, throat and nose to reduce symptoms.
- Insomnia – apply lavender and chamomile on forehead and temples, clary sage on upper lip, or valerian on temples and back of neck. Alternative: apply all these insomnia oils on the soles of the feet before bedtime.
- Stress relief – lavender, chamomile, sandalwood, frankincense, cedarwood and balsam fir to forehead and feet.
- Toothache – apply clove oil on gums for pain. Saturate gauze with melaleuca, clove, naouli and rosemary oils, then hold in mouth around tooth to reduce abscess.
- Tendonitis – cypress for circulation and lemongrass to regenerate ligaments.
- Virus infection – clove, lemon, cinnamon, eucalyptus, rosemary, mountain savory, thyme, oregano, hyssop, melaleuca alternifolia, pine, frankincense or ravensara.
Copyright © 1997-2012, CompWellness Network, Fairfield NJ USA, Optimum Choices, LLC, Golden CO. Reprinted with permission.
Source: Russell Louie, Aromatherapist, Golden CO